Tutorial: Downloading with GrabIt
Page 1/7 of this article
Welcome to the howto for the newsreader GrabIt. GrabIt is an easy-to-use newsreader that is especially popular among beginners. This tutorial is written for GrabIt v1.7.*. First I will point out some of the advantages and disadvantages:
- Free (except unlimited usage of the Usenet Search and Usenet Browser functions)
- Easy to use;
- Simple interface;
- Built-in (not for free) GrabIt Usenet Search to locate posts on Usenet quickly without fetching headers.
- Poor multiple server support;
- The processing of downloaded headers takes a long time, especially with large groups.
Download GrabIt (link opens in a new window)
What has been improved in this version?
Issues that will be discussed in this tutorial:
- Adding servers
- Downloading using NZB files
- Usenet Search and Browser
- Traditional download method
- Posting short messages into Usenet newsgroups
I won’t discuss installing GrabIt because this involves nothing more than selecting your installation directory and clicking ‘next’ a couple of times.
To the next chapter: Configuration